IT Support Technician – Second Line Support
Summary of role
Based in the Liverpool office working with other members of the IT team in the London head office or any of the other BROADSTONE sites, the IT Support Technician provides users of the BROADSTONE domain first and second-line support.
The IT Support Technician is also responsible for the management, configuration and day-to-day maintenance of numerous software and hardware systems, hence the essential and desirable technical proficiencies below.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Support of the IT network, servers, workstations and other hardware, in particular:
- Installation and commissioning of Laptops, PCs and peripherals,
- Installation, configuration and ongoing maintenance of server and client-side software,
- Continuous monitoring of IT systems; prioritising and addressing any problems that may occur,
- Occasional first-line technical support of software and hardware to users, in particular when covering the IT Service Desk Technician’s absence,
- Department housekeeping and administration duties (keeping IT areas tidy and secure and in general be aware of security lapses).
- Second-line technical support to other back office teams,
- Liaising with and overseeing third-party service providers.
Skills and experience
A successful candidate must demonstrate the following skills or qualities:
- Attention to detail,
- Good verbal and written communication skills; in particular when discussing and explaining technical subjects with non-technical staff,
- Very strong problem-solving skills,
- Capable working alone and as part of a team,
- Able to produce and maintain documentation for users and IT staff,
- Able to plan, manage & deliver projects and to produce work to deadlines,
- Familiarity with the Data Protection Act (2018), the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679) and the principles defined therein.
The company employs a variety of technologies in its IT infrastructure, experience with the following is essential:
- Microsoft software:
- Windows Server (specifically 2008 R2 and 2016),
- Windows 7 & 10 (Enterprise),
- Microsoft Office (including 2013, 365, etc.),
- Communication systems (i.e. Exchange 2010 and Skype for Business server & client),
- Active Directory & Windows domain management (including system policies),
- Knowledge of SQL and its implementation in Microsoft SQL Server (2008+), including administration tasks such as performing backups, restores, execution of queries, changes to security profiles, etc.,
- Web server technologies (Microsoft IIS, Apache HTTPd),
- (re-)Configuration of Cisco Firewall & Switch technologies, using both the command line and graphical user interfaces,
- Strong comprehension of the following fundamental concepts: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, HTTPS including SSL/TLS,
In addition to the essential proficiencies listed above, some experience or familiarity with the following would be desirable:
- General IT systems:
- Microsoft System Centre,
- Service Desk software (e.g. support helpdesk),
- Backup software (VEEAM, Backup-Exec),
- VOIP Telephony (in particular Avaya):
- Server-side (provision of DDIs, call routing, etc.)
- Network-level (patching and understanding of PoE),
- Client-side (connection and use of handsets, etc.)
- Server and virtualisation platforms:
- EMC SAN solutions,
- VMWare, vSphere (or equivalent, e.g. VirtualBox, Hyper-V).
- LAMP based software and services, such as:
- Ubuntu server,
- Apache HTTPd & Tomcat servlet container,
- Bind9 DNS service,
- Familiarity with the OSI model and how it pertains to telecommunication and computer systems.